Sunday, December 18, 2011

Year End Best of Music 2011 List

I don't think I could be anymore happy with this year after 2010's absolute failure to produce more than a few albums I really enjoyed. A number of great releases in a diverse range of genres, and a ton of good releases that would've received more attention from me if this year wasn't as busy as it turned out to be. The list is incredibly electronic heavy, which reflects just where my tastes have veered this year. I think general "indie" releases disappointed, though, with only a few standout albums. All right, let's do this:

General Great EPs (not ranked in any order):
Silkie - City Limits Volume 1.6 - 1.8
Pixelord - Puzzles EP
Pixelord - Iron and Cream
Lunice - One Hunned
DJ Spinn - Man I Do It
King Krule - King Krule

Entirely electronic dominated besides the King Krule release which recently came out. Pixelord/Lunice doing the hip hop beats bassy thing that's been getting pretty popular (Lunice in particular is insane), Man I Do It is the best juke release I've listened to this year and it's a shame it wasn't a full album, and I don't even know why I like King Krule so much, but I do, even if the EP is stupidly short. Silkie's City Limits Volume 1.6 - 1.8 sounds a fair bit like City Limits Volume 2 and almost works as an intro for the album (even though Vol. 1.6 - 1.8 were released a few months before Vol. 2).

General Great LPs (not ranked in any order):
Baths - Pop Music and False B-Sides
Geotic - Mend
The Weeknd - House of Balloons
Julian Lynch - Terra
Bon Iver - Bon Iver
Lil B - I'm Gay
Zomby - Dedication
Panda Bear - Tomboy
Real Estate - Days

The general indie stuff, mostly. Panda Bear, Bon Iver, The Weeknd, Geotic, or Julian Lynch could probably arguably be in the top albums spots, as they're all excellent.

Top LPs (not ranked in any order):
Silkie - City Limits Volume 2
Araabmuzik - Electronic Dream
Oneohtrix Point Never - Replica
Rustie - Glass Swords

Entirely electronic dominated. City Limits is unreal at times, Araabmuzik is a damn wizard, Replica is the most haunting thing I've heard this entire year, and I don't really have anything to say about Glass Swords.

---

And that's it for the year. I'm hoping 2012 can top 2011, but it'll be tough. I don't have a list of releases for next year, but all that matters is when the next Animal Collective will be out.

No comments: